Saturday, July 24, 2010

A Real Scorcher

In running, in life for that matter, things rarely go according to plan.  Leading up to Boston, I had IT issues during my taper week.  For the trail half marathon in June, higher than normal humidity.  And for tonight's Crystal City Twilighter 5K: record high temps, including a 92 degree start time despite the gun going off at 8:00 p.m.

What to make of this.  I was hoping to test out my new legs after five weeks of strong speed development workouts, but I'll be shelving any PR aspirations tonight.  Instead, I'll just be running for survival.  Dramatic?  Perhaps a little.  

I still have three weeks of 5K training left before transitioning into my Army 10-miler program, so that leaves plenty more opportunity to build.

Tonight, it'll simply be about enjoying being out with friends and racing for the first time this summer.  And what's more, more than a quarter of our Ragnar Relay team will be out running tonight...we'll call it a team building exercise.

So, tonight's race plan is about going out, having fun, and just letting it flow.  Who knows, sometimes when the pressure's off, we surprise ourselves.

Crystal City Twilighter Redux to come tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...